The upside? Starwood points are accumulated on a point-per-dollar basis. The downside? They aren't connected to the Starwood computers (a few days with the infrastructure and you realize why), so I have to convince the people that I have Starwood preferred status.
Benin is hard to describe in words. The part I have seen is pretty flat both naturally (topography) and artificially (no buildings taller than 4 stories -- not even the "Ritz Hotel"). It is lush and green, with plants continually threatening to swallow up everything man-made. There are many more street vendors here walking among stopped cars than in SA -- drive-thru groceries may not have hit it big in the U.S., but here you could probably by all your basic grocery needs straight from your car during a half-mile drive.
Any permanent building has a wall around it, but tin and wood shacks line the edge of the road in the no-man's-land between the walls and the road.
They are mostly stores, but some are houses. I could pick up dresses (well, maybe not), Arsenal towels (or Manchester United if you are Bret), and all sorts of foods from the side of the road. Or I could take a leak there. I saw a BMW driver stop at a shack for something and then relieve himself against a wall nearby. (Flashy cars are rare here, but they exist.)
No comments:
Post a Comment