Saturday, July 17, 2010

Nigeria: not South Africa

The main foyer at Johannesburg's O.R. Tambo airport, decked out for soccer.

My first two impressions of Nigeria when I landed in Lagos were the faded airport carpet that said “Welcome to Nigeria” and the hit-you-in-the-face smell of body odor. (No travel guidebook will hire me now.) With lots of people in a poorly ventilated building and only a few room A/C units, you can understand why.

I won’t get to see a lot of this country for security reasons, so I don’t expect my understanding of Nigeria to be what I would like when I leave. Everything is free-flowing – the traffic is more so than Honduras, as is both the commerce and the law. Lane markers on roads are just wasted paint.  A blind guy could probably drive here, because everyone is always honking to let other drivers know they are there.  I am surprised at how nice my hotel is in Benin and how decrepit the client’s headquarters is.

My hotel isn’t anything to write home about, but it’s pretty clean, has a surprisingly good gym, and has working A/C. The power only goes out about 2x/night, and the diesel generator kicks in fairly quickly.

 An aerial shot of the outskirts of Joburg.  Everything is more brown here naturally, plus it is winter.

No comments: