Thursday, July 8, 2010

Fanatics in the stands instead of the fan zones?

The opening of Spain vs. Paraguay.

I’ve been watching most of the games from a fan zone at Melrose Arch. In my mind I compare it to the fan zone I hung out at during the 2008 Euro Cup and except for the Ghana/Uruguay game it comes up short. I think part of that is the physical constraints – it’s very hard to get there via public transportation and there is limited parking, the square with the screen has buildings around it and is only a fraction of the size of the Euro Cup fan zone, etc.


The "cause" of this World Cup has been racism, and the teams have all stood together and recited a pledge against racism before each game.

However, I also think the fan base that’s present is different from the Euro Cup.  Here, anyone (except expat residents) from another country spent good money to come down, so I think it’s safe to say that they came down to go to games – not hang out in fan zones.  I also think it’s safe to say that fewer fans from each country will come.

Paraguay's best chance at scoring was blocked.

At the Euro Cup more people could come from outside the host country (Austria) quickly, cheaply, and easily via European train.  In the fan zone I was sandwiched between younger guys about my age who were from outside Austria and weren’t going to the games but could still afford to hang out for the festivities.
I think the result is that the fan zones here have a higher percentage of locals who take a side but aren’t fully committed, whereas the Euro Cup fan zones had more, younger fans from the countries that were playing.

The agony of defeat.  While Spain eventually won, Paraguay certainly seemed to play with more heart, and the Spaniards barely got by.

No comments: