For the record going forward, SAs (including the government) separate everyone into one of four categories:
1) Black African
2) Coloured (black/white mix)
3) White
4) Asian/Indian
Let this be the disclaimer that if I refer to "coloreds," I am using official terminology. I find it interesting that they are separated out. I'm interested to see if they live in a "no man's land" in society.
Clarification: This post wasn't intended to say that SAs shouldn't use the term "colored" -- in fact, closer to the opposite. I use it because it's the accurate, acceptable term in SA. I posted this because "colored" now has negative racial connotations in the U.S. and I wanted any reader from the U.S. unfamiliar with South Africa to understand why I was using the term.
(That does not negate my question, though -- I'm still curious to see what they think about their place in a society that went from white apartheid to rule by the ANC, an organization that for most of its history accepted only black Africans.)
Thursday, July 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
The term "coloureds" has a long history in S. Africa. Under apartheid they had slightly more rights than blacks.
Did you read "Cry, the Beloved Country" by Alan Paton? If not, please do as it may give you some decent background.
Also, "Gandhi" the movie has some good S. African background in it too.
No, but I've heard of it. Looks like I should add that to my reading list.
Thanks for the post -- made me realize I need to clarify.
Post a Comment