My first couple of days have been a pretty boring routine as I settle
in, but here are some thoughts.
My hotel is on a strip that seems to be still developing and has some
nice offices for international companies and an entrance to a nice
neighborhood, and you can tell this section of the road is upscale. Walking down the street I pass a couple of
strip shopping centers (including restuarants), banks, a grocery store,
etc. There is also a McDonald’s, Taco
Bell, Subway, Quiznos, and Applebee’s.
(Keep in mind that those are relatively premium places outside the
U.S.) Japanese and Peruvian food are clearly
popular; there are at least 3 Japanese and 2 Peruvian places within a 5 min
walk along this street. The thing that
sticks out is the Caterpillar rental place.
Maybe people stop by to pick up their groceries nearby and then their
front-end loader.
Food prices can vary wildly.
I’ve been eating out at the nearby restaurants. There is no Costa Rican food place nearby,
since (like many places) people cook that at home and if they are going to go
out and pay good money, they want something different. A main plus a drink has run me $16-30. I looked at prices in a McDonald’s and a Big
Mac meal – the cheapest combo – is 3000 colones ($6).
Prices include all taxes – the U.S. system drives me nuts. So far, all restaurants have added 10% tip to
the bill, but I think that’s because these are nicer restaurants.
A shot from Lindora looking south toward Santa Ana. San Jose proper is very small, so I'm having to learn all of the little suburbs.
Eating out story: I went last night to a nice Spanish/Argentinian
restaurant. They had two separate menus,
one for Spanish food and one for Argentinian, which was interesting. A family with kids sat next to me. I’m not typically one to roll my eyes and
taking kids out to restaurants, except that the family didn’t think a thing
about their littlest (~2, I would guess) consistently pounding the table with
the salt and pepper shakers. Think about
eating next to a jackhammer. That
finally stopped when the kid found a more interesting pastime: sucking on the
top of the shakers, I assume for the pepper and salt tastes. However, I had some excellent mozerella and
basil empanadas, so it was impossible to be too annoyed.
I pass a surprising number of people running or going for a family walk
in the evenings. Many of these are
wearing construction-site reflector vests, which makes a lot of sense when you
frequently share a road with cars. Time
to pull out my own reflector belt…

No comments:
Post a Comment