It is now the middle of week 3.
As always, I have more notes jotted down than I have had time to flesh
out. (A preview: hi from Nicaragua!)
People in the office are super nice/friendly, not only helping me with work
but everyone has said to give them a call on their cell phones if I want to
hang out. During my first weekend a
colleague invited me to join him and some others for a party on Saturday night. I showed up at someone’s house to find 5
couples and a few of their kids were finishing dinner. I realized that the connection was that
everyone else was Salvadoran. We all
hung out and talked for a while – mostly about the difference between Central
American countries and their Spanish – and then came the main event for the
evening: karaoke. I was not expecting
that. Every couple of years I’m in some
foreign country, go sing karaoke with a group, and tell myself that I need to
really learn one classic American karaoke song.
So far it hasn’t happened. The result
is that each time I’m trying hard to find a song on the list that I know, since
2/3 are in the local language and the other 1/3 are split between old 80’s
songs that I never hear outside of karaoke and songs that flopped in the U.S.
but were huge hits in the local country.
A good time, though, and interesting to see the inside of someone’s
house.
I have also quickly decided that the expat group here is, in general,
very different from the expat groups in my previous locales. I’m used to expat groups of young but
high-skilled professionals and mid-career execs on temporary international
assignments, which usually means up to 3 years.
The result is high turnover.
Here, the majority of people I have met have been in the country for
>5 years and consider it home, with no plans to move back. A good number came for a specific reason and
then just stayed. One guy who is 81 has
been here for 31 years, which he says is “longer than most Ticos [Costa Ricans]
have been here.” I haven’t checked that
stat, but I’m willing to bet that the demographics mean he is right.
As a result, there is much less of an “expat bubble” here. The people and their interests are also
different (e.g. less “big-company professional”) since many came specifically to
come to Costa Rica, not because they were sent by a company. More expats here have families, and many of
them include a Tico spouse (which may have been the reason they stayed or may
have been a result).
We’ll see how much I plug into the group. In the short-term, I went to a jazz place
with someone I met through Internations and have plans for this coming weekend
with some others.
Some other entertaining and miscellaneous facts and stories for today:
Apparently every Thursday at 10am my company tests an air raid
siren. No one bothered to tell me that,
though it was pretty obvious when no one budged.
Eating out is expensive here. Surprisingly
so. You can get a typical “casado”
(standard lunch plate) fairly cheaply at a local neighborhood place. Lunch at my office cafeteria is ~$5 for rice,
beans, a meat main dish, and a salad; it won’t win awards but isn’t bad. Outside of that (meaning even local places
that serve something other than Costa Rican food) main dishes for lunch and
dinner will easily run $15. This isn’t’
so bad for dinner, but the surprise is a) this is (relatively) even more expensive
when you consider Ticos don’t make as much to start with, and b) I keep
wondering where the “in between” exists – the Chipotle-style “fast casual”
where you can get decent food at a decent price in a decent amount of time.
I talked about the need for a GPS earlier; I still don’t know the name
of the road my hotel was on, because it is “the road between Panasonic and the
Red Cross.” Keep in mind that this is a
major artery. A guy the other day told
me he lives near me, and that to get to his place you go down a named road and
“turn left at the really wide tree.”
In Spanish, people call Winnie the Pooh “Winnie Pooh.” Have adults say that in a Spanish accent and
try not to laugh.
No comments:
Post a Comment