I have quickly decided, hopefully not too quickly, that Costa Rican
food is OK but nothing to write home about.
And yet, here I am writing about it.
I previously wrote about eating out being expensive. Groceries can be expensive, too. The places where I’m shopping are targeting
above-average income and so you pay a bit more to get more selection and better
quality, but this gives you an idea:
-Loaf of bread: $2-3/loaf
-Activa yogurt: $6 for 4x4oz cups
-Gallon of milk: $4.20
-Apple: $1
-Pear: $1
A lot of the solution, of course, is to cook like the locals (who likely are not using lots of apples). I just need to figure out what that looks like besides rice and beans.
Japanese food and Peruvian food are both quite popular here. I’ve had Peruvian food that I think is quite
good, but I limited Peruvian food experience as a benchmark. The Japanese food here is pretty good, but I
haven’t found anything really great yet.
I have now been to Applebee’s there times in as many weeks in CR, I
hate to admit. The first time I went by
myself because after eating varieties of rice + beans + protein I needed
something green, and I at least knew Applebee’s would have a fish and
veggies. After that, for two consecutive
Fridays my colleagues went out to celebrate a birthday, and went to
Applebee’s. I am not going again even if
I’m the only holdout. The first time
service was slow, and then everyone else’s food came except mine. They said they were working on it, but my
food came just as everyone else had finished theirs – 1.5 hours after we
ordered. (They offered a free dessert as
a consolation. When the whole problem is
that everything is taking longer than it should, why do you offer someone an
extra food item that will take more time to prepare and eat?) The second time everyone’s food was slow, and
it took us 2.5 hours to get in and out.
People here like their lunch breaks, but even the Ticos weren’t happy. And, lest you think it is the mid-priced work
lunch it is in the U.S., a burger costs $13 and an Oriental chicken salad costs
$15.
I have also eaten some McDonald’s, because McDonald’s is one of those great
global measuring sticks. The McDonald’s
near me is wildly popular; I counted 15 cards in a traffic jam of a
drive-through line one night. (The drive
through is called an Auto-Mac here, in keeping with everything being –Mac.)
Behold the McPinto. Best thing on the plate: the two slug-looking fried plantains. They are like candy for breakfast.
The only real oddity on the menu is the
McPinto, which I tried. It is their version
of the local breakfast specialty, gallo pinto (spiced rice and beans) with
friend plantains, eggs, tiny tortillas, and sausage.
Verdict: leave local food to the locals.
The other notable thing is that here, you can get a side salad instead
of fries with a burger meal. Maybe they
do that in the U.S., too, but I hadn’t noticed.
Switching to drinks, fresh fruit juices are very common (and good) here. I don’t know if they add sugar, but I think
usually not at a restaurant. There are
juices I have never heard of (jugo de cas).
Beer here is on the light side, but not all bad. I was listening to the radio when I heard “[Spanish
blah blah] Milwaukee’s Best [Spanish blah blah].” Yes, friends, Milwaukee’s Best, which may be
extinct even in Milwaukee, is alive and kicking here. There is one microbrewery that I know of but
have not visited.
They must like their beer or other drinks, though, because I drove by
an Alcoholics Anonymous the other day.

No comments:
Post a Comment