My Tunis trip highlights another oddity about Nigeria. Nigeria, and African cities in general, it seems, are very well connected… to Europe/Middle East. The flights there are better and more numerous than to the rest of Africa.
To get to Tunis, we had to connect through Paris. Our other connecting option was Cairo. This was a pain, but a bit nostalgic: I walked past a Terminal 2 café where my brother and I slept in the booths during an overnight layover in CDG once before.
I came expecting to bounce around central/western Africa quite a bit, but it is surprisingly difficult. From Lagos there are more direct flights to EU/ME than to other African countries. Even if a flight goes to where you want within Africa, you have to check the timetables because many flights do not fly every day. I have downloaded a good number of airline timetables. (It also tells you something about the size of the airlines, because that would be unthinkable for a large U.S. carrier).
It's like Oprah, James Carville, and a tracking device all in one person. (Side note: Google the words "help find lost items" and you get some very weird results)
Visas are another difficulty. According to something I found on the internet, the only embassy in Benin City is Romanian, though I’m skeptical that even that exists. This means I have to be in Lagos or Benin to get a passport processed. I got a 2nd passport after my first month here and was ready to get a Ghanaian visa when I found out… that the Lagos consulate will only process visa requests for Nigerians. Very frustrating to have a great place that is nearby off limits.
I really like getting out of Benin City not necessarily because I don’t like what is here, but because I don’t have access to what I really want: the local experience. Life is surprisingly caged, mostly because of security hazards that don’t exist elsewhere. It’s better in Abuja, and of course much better outside of Nigeria.
Being in Benin City during the week, I find that I pick destinations for one (or both) of two reasons:
-Explore somewhere new/adventure
-Somewhere I can freely walk around outdoors and has a good gym/fresh food. I know, I’m demanding.
Thursday, October 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment