Sunday, October 10, 2010

Hasta ... un tiempo muy largo

In case this wasn’t already obvious to some people back home, staying in touch from Benin City is more difficult than I anticipated. In order to make a call back home three things must align:
1) Time zones – I am 5 hours ahead of ET
2) Good internet connection (3G)
3) My availability

#1 means that during the week I can’t really make any calls to anyone working in the U.S. until after 10pm Nigeria. #2 means that about 75% of the weeknights are out. #3 means that about 66% of weekend nights are out between nights spent on planes and getting back late (or sleeping off the night on the plane).

Phone service is also consistently bad. About 30% of my local calls go through, and sometimes there are several hours with no phone service. I think it is my particular carrier (Zain) in Benin City. Things are better in Abuja or Lagos.

No comments: