Perhaps the best moment of the day might have come as we were buying tickets. I asked the lady at the counter if they had a water fountain. Her eyes glazed over and she stared at me without moving for a full five seconds. I really thought she was having to reboot her brain. She finally asks, “decorative… or to drink from?” I told her I wanted one to drink from, and she gave me directions and told me she was about to send me to a park nearby. She then told me the word that is our Aussie lingo of the day: she said that in the future I should ask for a “bublar,” but because of her accent now it was my turn to be stumped. They pronounce ar’s like an “ah,” so I repeated back, “bublah?” My sister had to jump in and translate.
We spent almost the entire day at the museum. We took a break for lunch and went to a mall food court. It was all Chinese except for an Indian and a fisn’n’chips place. It was set up like the ones I was familiar with in Singapore where you get dishes, leave them on the table, and someone cleans up. Basically the dishes that each place uses are communal between all the stalls.
Dinner that night was at a Thai restaurant down the street from our hotel. It was made of two townhouses with a wall knocked out. It was quaint and still had what I’m sure were original chandeliers and molding. It definitely would not have been possible under our ADA.
1 comment:
David! you didn't go to Taronga Zoo! Shame on you... haha anyways mate I am glad you all are having a blast and focusing on diverse Aussie Experiences. Have you gotten in touch with my Wellington friends?
Post a Comment