Sunday, May 5, 2013

My Spanglish



Some notes on living in the Spanish-speaking country.

Because I’m getting new rent cars every time I travel, I end up with different radio stations I listen to, because sometimes I’ve been too lazy to re-find the ones I previously liked.  My favorites thus far have been a station that plays only love songs, a station that has political round-table discussions in the mornings, a radio station that plays Christian praise music, and one that has preaching on most of the time.

The Christian music and love song stations I like because I have an idea of the context already, and thus it’s easier for me to figure out what they are saying.  Side note: I found the Christian station because I was surfing the stations and, after stopping on this one for 10 seconds, I realized the music was so simple musically and the lyrics were pretty repetitive that it had to be Christian praise music, since no regular song would get airplay if it were that bad.  Unfortunately, I was correct.

The preaching I like because it typically consists of one person speaking for a long time, with dramatic pauses for emphasis which allow me to catch up.  The political dialogue I like because they are civil and don’t talk over each other, so it stretches me to follow the conversation but not terribly so.

Spanish has one structural difference vs. English that makes a lot of sense to me: adjectives generally come after the nouns they modify.  IN English I might describe a “big, old, green, Chinese vase.”  You have to retain all those adjectives in the abstract before I finally give you something concrete (vase) for them to modify.  Spanish is the opposite – closer to saying “the vase that is big, old, green and Chinese.”  In the second way, the picture can grow in specificity as I describe it, but you have an easy starting point.

Conversely, one of my biggest gripes with Spanish is the indefinite articles that can precede verbs.  “Se le enconta” is like saying “he/she/formal you do something to it, and I know I will tell you that the action is to love and then I will tell you who is actually doing it.”

No comments: