Saturday, May 14, 2011

I’m going to miss this place.

Today I was doing one of my favorite things: reading on my balcony. This past week I started the machinations to move back, and it’s starting to set in – and a strong part of me is digging in its heels.

My balcony might be an odd place to contemplate SA. I can find a balcony anywhere. The only distinctively SA things I can see are the three braai pits in the common area and a few hadeda ibis. (I can also definitely hear the hadedas...) Not only that, but the SA I see out my balcony is wealthy Sandton, which is a far cry from a lot of SA.

Winter sunset off my balcony; the shot into the sunset washes out both the vibrant orange and the trees' autumn canopy.

A word you hear in SA all the time is “vibe.” Everyone in SA is looking for a “vibey” place, or asking about the “vibe” at work, home, party, city. It was initially something I noted and moved past – it’s not concrete, it varies based on what a person is looking for, and is fleeting. Where does it come from? What does it represent?

However, I have come to appreciate it.

I’m going to miss the “vibe” here. I started to parse out the sources of that vibe for me as I am wont to do, but I decided that’s for me to know and for you to come discover.

No comments: